Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Cuban Sandwiches

  I don't know if it's just me and my husband or every couple but we have completely different tastes in TV shows. He watches movies, edited for TV when we have the real thing he could watch without commercials, I like to watch lots of different things but mostly HGTV  and Discovery Health and things like that; anyway the one show we can agree on usually is Triple D, Diners Drive-ins and Dives on Food Network.
  One night we were watching and Guy was  at a food cart/truck kinda thing and they were making Cuban sandwiches. The hubby asked if I could make them and after watching I said I bet I could. This recipe is the result.

 What You Will Need
  •  Picnic Roast ( bone in or out it's up to you)
  • 3 Cloves Garlic Crushed
  • 1tsp Cayenne Pepper
  • Provolone Cheese and/or Swiss
  • Sliced Ham (I use lunch meat)
  • Dill Pickle Relish
  • Mustard
  • 1/2 C Melted Butter
  • 2 Loaves of French Bread
  • Slow Cooker
  •  Panini Press ( If you don't have one IT"S OK keep reading!)
  If you, like me, don't have a real panini press or one of those weighted press lids for your pan here is how to DIY one up for practically nothing. In my case I had everything I needed right at home!

What You Will Need

  • A brick
  • A roll  of heavy duty aluminum foil 
  • Frying Pan (mine has ridges in it so I get the cool grilled kinda look)

Wrap the brick, I got mine from my backyard and it goes back out there when I'm done, in the foil 2-4 times and there ya have it.

So now back to the recipe.
   Put your roast in the slow cooker along with the garlic and cayenne. cook on high for 6 hours. I like to use the bone in and I cook it from 10pm to 3pm the next night on low adding water if necessary.  Remove the roast from the cooker in to a large bowl, it should just fall apart, shred the meat.
   You might be like me and always think you are buying a roast just the right size and it's always to big and you have a ton left over . I use the leftovers from this to make pulled pork by taking the left over meat and adding BBQ sauce and serving it on a bun.
   Cut the bread in half length wise and then in half cross ways, I always cut mine on an angle. Heat up your pan or press, I will be referring to "the pan" and "the brick" you can use the press instead, butter the crust side of the bread and place it butter side down on the pan. place the brick on top and press down to flatten the bread then leave it till toasted on that side.

   Once toasted to your liking remove brick and butter the face up side of the bread and flip it over. Toast this side a bit lighter then you want the finished product to be. Repeat steps with the other piece of bread.

   Next you will re butter the lighter side of the bread  and place it back in the pan. Add a layer of cheese. you can do all Swiss all provolone, I prefer this, or use both and alternate.then your ham. smear the dill relish over the ham.

  Add large handfuls of the shredded pork to cover everything.

 add lots of mustard and top with more cheese. Place the other bread on top crust side down. Press with the brick till cheese is melty on bottom layer and then remove the brick and butter the top slice of bread, here comes the messy part, flip the sandwich and press with the brick again press till cheese is melty!

No comments:

Post a Comment